It does not matter if you are a part-time woodwork warrior or if you are a professional contractor, there is a need to invest in the best 12 inch miter saw which you can afford. The miter saw is excellent tools that help in making the process of cutting trip pieces and sectional lumber a breeze. With the miter saws, you will be in a position of cutting even larger lumber sections on an angle which makes it excellent for anything right from construction to crafts.
There are lots of things that we did take into account when carrying out our research. From our list of the 12 inch miter saw, we did rank DEWALT DWS779 Miter Saw as the best overall. This miter saw is very easy to adjust, very powerful and large in size.
Top 05 Best 12 Inch Miter Saw Review and Buying Guide
Product-01: DEWALT DWS779 Miter Saw
- Your purchase includes One CDEWALT DWS779 Sliding Compound Cord Miter Saw, 12-Inch, Carbide Blade, One Blade Wrench
- Tool dimensions: 17” H x 24.75” L. Tool Weight: 56 lbs. Maximum Cutting Thickness: 6.75 inch
- Other specifications: 15 Amps, 12” Blade diameter, 5/8” or 1” Arbor size. 3800 RPM motor. Type of milter saw: Slide
DEWALT is among the top power tools brands worldwide. One of its products, the DEWALT DWS779 Miter Saw ranks top among the best 12 inch miter saw in the market. This miter saw comes with a warranty period of three years and it is well known for effectively protecting one against problems which can take in the future.
You will never experience any issue with its motor since it is a 15-Amp model capable of producing up to 3,800 revolutions within 60 seconds. It also consists of very clear markings at its base.
Another top feature that makes most people opt for this miter saw is its effective and dependable dust collection system that is capable of removing up to 75% or even more of debris and dust that comes from the boards. It has a back fencing that functions well with boards measuring 12 inches to 16 inches long and makes it possible for one to make cuts at either 45 or 90 degrees angles.
The DWS779 uses cheap rubber foam which helps in keeping the model compatible with more efficient and large dust systems.
- Comes with a warranty period of three years
- Uses large 15 amp motors
- Capable of removing up to 75% of dust
- Has an efficient back fencing that works well
- Not capable of working well with large dust collection systems
- Kicks very fast and without any warning
Product-02: Double-Bevel 12 Inch Miter Saw
- Powerful 15 amp motor
- Dual linear slide rails for stability and smooth, precise cuts
- Includes: dust bag, machined aluminum fence, table clamp, extension bars, cord storage hooks, laser guide, adapter
The Double-Bevel 12 Inch Miter Saw suits individuals who are interested in an easy to use and precise miter saw. The blade of this saw can tilt in a range of between 0- 45 degrees on both the left and right leading to a wider cutting range. Its bevel scale comes with a dual bevel system capable of beveling on both sides ensuring versatility.
Its scales are very visible making it easier for one to ready clearly and quickly adjust the angle to be more accurate. It also comes with an Ultra bright LED light that helps in giving the user of this saw visibility whenever they are working on dark or dusty places.
It also comes with a laser cutting guide which enables you to clearly see the blades cutting line on the material you will be cutting. This miter saw uses a completely unique alignments system that requires no calibration hence; one can always adjust the blade quickly to ensure the cut is accurate and precise.
This miter saw comes with a very comfortable handle that comprises of a vibration reducing system to help the user be in control always.
- Very easy to set up
- Comes with an LED light to help make the workplace visible
- Uses a dual bevel system
- Comes with a laser which ensures better precision
- The scales are easy to read
- Quite expensive
- Not very durable
Product-03: SKILSAW SPT88-01 Miter Saw
- Worm drive delivers the relentless power and trusted durability needed to get the job done on any jobsite
- Lightest-in-class construction and convenient top handle makes transportation easy
- Led shadow light provides high precision cuts with greater accuracy than lasers
The SKILSAW SPT88-01 Miter Saw is an impressive and dual bevel miter saw that covers 4 by 14 cross cut at 90 degrees. This saw bevels right and left at 48 degrees and comes with some stops. It is considered to be among the lightest 12 inch miter saw in the market weighing just 51 pounds. It also uses a 12 amp dual field motor.
This miter saw is made in a design which ensures the motor runs cooler providing it with a longer life and reducing the overheating risk. Its motor spins the blade at around 4000 RPM and has a worm driver that offers it extra torque. This miter saw feels completely different compared to other models when you don’t have a belt to drive it.
It is a very easy to use and comes with a dust collection system. Ensure you completely blow it off whenever you are making bevel cuts on a frequent basis. This miter saw adjustments are very standard while the detents are solid and nice.
The SKILSAW SPT88-01 Miter Saw uses a two rail system and is very solid without any wobble which helps in giving the saw a smooth sliding action.
- Very accurate in its cuttings
- Comes with a dust collection system
- Has a great cutting power
- Very durable and easy to maintain
- The fence extension can easily wobble
- Its stock blade comes with a little chatter
Product-04: DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Miter Saw
- Innovative gearbox and belt drive design increases vertical cutting capacity
- Integrated XPS cross cut positioning system provides adjustment free cut line indication
- Powerful 15 amp, 3,800 rpm motor delivers extended power and durability
DEWALT DWS780 is among the most popular 12 inch miter saws in the market. Most people are pleased by its blade system that offers one free adjustment cutline indication which ensures more visible and accurate.
It also comes with a sliding function that works on the horizontal dual steel rails comprising of new and modern mechanism of clamping and a linear ball that offers users long term accuracy. Its rails ensure the miter saw is very compact. The handle of this miter saw has been designed to help in making it more portable. The system of this miter saw will offer the user a wide range as it will allow users to miter 50 degrees to the left and 60 degrees to the right.
This DWS78 comes with a stainless steel which is adjustable together with detent plate comprising of up to 10 positive stops which help in improving the levels of productivity. It also comes with a cam lock handle that has a detent override which enables on to make fast adjustments to the angle.
- Cuts smoothly
- Easy to use and maintain
- Comes with a laser alignment system
- Very quiet and has a soft start
- It is quite heavy
- The dust collection system consumes lots of space
Product-05: Hitachi C12FDH Miter Saw
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- Laser marker system
- Accurately indicates where the blade will cut on the material and can be easily adjusted to the right or left of the cut mark depending upon the users preference
The Hitachi C12FDH Miter Saw is considered to be among the best 12 inch miter saws you will ever come across in the market. This saw is well known for its great power and excellent accuracy levels. It is also a very easy to adjust saw.
Most people are impressed by its belt driver motor which positions the motor behind and above the blade axis. This helps in making an excellent site line and extreme angle at the bevel right hand cuts. This saw has both of its two piece fence on the swing quickly rotating the upper portions on the fence which makes the bevel easier to cut.
The fence of this saw measures 5 1/8 inch tall which makes it one of the tallest miter saws in the market. Its tall fence makes it ideal for cutting tall materials like crown and the baseboard. It comes with an in built laser that has an on and off witch which help in making the cuts more accurate. It also comes with a material clamp although it lacks any table extensions.
- Comes with a warranty period of five years
- It is well designed with a pretty large pivoting fence
- Comes with an excellent dust collection bag
- Has a micro bevel adjustment knob
- Its two-piece fence makes it prone to alignment issues
- Lacks crown bevel detent
How to Choose the Best 12-inch Miter Saw (Buying Guide)
There are a number of things you need to consider whenever you are in the market shopping for the best 12 inch miter saw. Below are some of the most outstanding factors you need to look at.
- Is 12-inch miter saw perfect for me? Why not 10-inch miter saw?
The blades of the miter saws are always available in different sizes. The most common blade sizes are the 10 inch and the 12 inch blades. In case you will be working on finishing tasks, then a 10-inch miter saw will be a perfect choice for you. This is because they are easy to handle and light and capable of performing the basic tasks.
In case you will be working on heavy-duty tasks or doing lots of framing work, then the 12-inch miter saw will be the perfect choice for you. Its larger diameter makes longer cuts achievable.
- Durability and Versatility
It is important that you go for a durable 12-inch miter saw. Most of the miter saws are known to be very expensive. This means you need to at least use them for some period of time before you can replace them. When you invest in a miter saw which is not durable, you will have to spend lots of money to either replace it or have it repaired.
It is also advisable that you go for a versatile 12-inch miter saw which you can use to cut through different angles and use on different materials.
- Ease of Use
There are people who will always rush on buying 12-inch miter saws which are made up of great features and are very durable. However, they will take lots of their time in trying to learn how to use it well and much longer trying to figure out ways of maneuvering it. Always go for an easy to use 12-inch miter saw to enable you save time on learning how to use it.
- Accuracy and Cutting Capacity
Before making any purchase, always try finding out how accurate that miter saw can deliver the cuts. Accuracy of the cuts is an important factor that you need to put in mind. In case a saw is not in a position of making accurate and precise cuts, it will not be advisable to purchase it. Always go for a miter saw which you can efficiently and swiftly use to deliver accurate cuts with lots of precision.
There are lots of chances that whenever you are shopping for a 12-inch miter saw, then you will be cutting items that are slightly larger than what other saws are capable of handling. You need to invest in a saw that will meet all your requirements and demands and can easily cut items of larger size. This will make it easier for you to work on projects that you have always been dreaming of working on.
In case the cutting capacity of the saw is ineffectual or small, the saw will not be worth the money.
- Dust Collection
The dust collection system is another important feature you need to look at whenever you are shopping for the best 12-inch miter saw in the market. No one would prefer spending lots of their time cleaning up the huge dust that will pile up after the cutting process. It is therefore advisable that you always go for miter saws that have efficient dust collections systems.
- Laser Guidance
Use of laser guides will make it faster and easier to line up materials which you will be cutting using the saw. They will enable you make accurate and quick cuts whenever you are cutting. Although their batteries will have to be charged every time, the impact of the laser guides will be far much better than the time you will be using on charging the laser guides.
- Price and Warranty
Price is an important factor that you need to consider when in the market for the best 12 inch miter saw. Never rush for the cheapest products. Most likely they are not long lasting as there are high chances low quality materials have been used in making them. Never go for a saw you cannot afford. Get something of good quality at a price that you are comfortable with.
Just like any other type of purchase, you will need to go for a 12-inch miter saw that comes with a good warranty. Ensure the warranty will have you covered in case something goes wrong with the saw when you are using it. However, take time and go through the warranty conditions and settle on the product that offers the best warranty conditions.
How to Use 12-inch Miter Saw
Most people find it easy to use the 12 inch miter saw. After all, they are just required to low the mechanism of the blade to the work piece. In this section, we will be looking at the best ways on how you can use the 12 inch miter saw effectively.
Put these Precautions in place:
- Before you start operating the miter saw, it is advisable that you put on the right protective gear. For instance, you can wear goggles to help protect your eyes, the earmuffs, dust mask or the ear plugs are also important.
- Ensure you wear gloves if the wood has been treated using chemical. Keenly follow the user manual that come a long with the miter saw.
- Never cross the arms whenever you are cutting and ensure your hands are always at a safe distance. Never try reaching under the saw when the blade is still rotating.
- After you have taken these precautions, you can now proceed to working with the miter saw.
- Start by marking the board where you will cut using a line that will extend across the piece. Thereafter, drop the blade onto the piece and check on the alignment. If necessary make adjustment to the material before you start the saw.
- Ensure the material is well secured using the clamp or your free hand. Ensure the edges are a flush with the base fence. Keep your hands at a safe distance from the blade of the saw.
- You can now start the saw by pressing the trigger. This will start the motor. Let the blade pick speed while still it is at the starting point.
- Start bringing the blade slowing lower towards the material cutting straight on the line you marked. Never lift the blade yet.
- You can release the trigger and allow the blade to stop spinning before you can lift it back. When you lift the blade while it still spins can destroy the board edges.
Here are some of the important things you need to keep in mind when cutting
- Always use a blade that has more teeth. When a blade has more teeth, the cuts will be smooth.
- Ensure that you always hold the adjuster angle until you lock the saw in position whenever you are making adjustments to the miter setting.
- Never lift the blade from the work-piece when it is still running.
Do you have a woodwork shop? Then the 12 inch miter saws we have reviewed above will be of great help to you. They will enable you make those complicated cuts. Go for the best 12 inch miter saw that will enable you fulfill your requirements. Settling on the best product will give you a peace of mind. We hope the above review together with the buyers guide will enable you get the most suitable 12 inch miter saw for your work.
Can you cut a 4x4 with a 10 inch miter saw?
It is a very strong task when it comes to cutting a 4x4 using a 10 inch blade. You will have to consider the rip capacity of the table saw since there are some which are much better. Using a 10 inch blade will never be enough from a practical position. In case you want to have the task done faster and well, then it is advisable you consider using the 12 inch miter saw.
How do you notch a 4x4 with a miter saw?
You will start by suspending the posts. Thereafter, you will drill holes through the 4x4 on the marks which you have just made. Then, place the 4x4 you just drilled next to or on top of the post. Put the miter saw a bit back on the drill and wrap a piece of tape from the end of the bit.
What is the difference between a miter saw and a chop saw?
There is very little different between the two. Miter saw are capable of rotating and producing angled cuts and that is why they are referred to as miter. However, the cop saws are only capable of cutting straight and at 90 degrees angles. They are usually used together with an abrasive metal cut off wheels.
Can I use a miter saw as a chop saw?
The miter saw normally use teeth with the blades to help them cut angles. They can carry out the 90 degrees cut just like the chop saw. You can also use it in making angles, bevels and cuts which are compound in different materials.
What is the difference between a circular saw and a miter saw?
Most people find it hard to tell the difference between the circular and the miter saw. The miter saw are more angled and precise. They are basically meant for making miter cuts which are on bigger and thicker wood objects. The circular saws on the other hand are handheld
More Related Post:
- Best Miter Saws for Crown Molding- 2020 (Review and Buying Guide)
- Best Miter Saw for Picture Framing- 2020
- Best Cordless Miter Saw Reviews and Buying Guide-2020
- Best Saw to Cut 2×4 Reviews and Buying Guide-2020
- Best Miter Saw (Review & Buying Guide) | Top 15 List
Last update on 2020-06-05 at 00:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API