The best chainsaw under 400 are efficient and versatile woodworking tools. They are of great help for professional logging tasks like storm clearing and pruning. However, these chainsaws can be quite dangerous and according to recent research findings, up to 28,000 injuries that occur every year are caused by chainsaws. It is therefore important that you not only get an efficient saw but also one that is comfortable and safe to use.
If you ask me what is the best chainsaw under 400 dollars? From our market research, we did find that Remington RM4618 chainsaw ranks top. Most people do prefer using it as it is exceptionally easy to assemble and maneuver. It also comes with a very comfortable grip and it is well-cushioned. Its cast chassis is durable and offers lots of power. Remington RM4618 is available at a good price.
Top 05 Best Chainsaw Under 400 Reviews
Product-01: Remington RM4618 46cc 18-Inch Chainsaw
- HIGH OUTPUT ENGINE WITH 18-INCH BAR AND CHAIN: 46cc full crank 2 cycle engine provides greater power and less vibration. Premium 18-Inch bar and low-kickback chain cuts through even the toughest wood quickly and easily.
- QUICKSTART TECHNOLOGY: Designed for quicker, smoother and easier pull starts allowing you to get to work right away on yard work, lawn care, and other projects.
- DURABLE DIE-CAST CHASSIS: Lightweight, heavy duty and efficient. Engineered with pro-grade components to withstand the most brutal and prolonged cutting tasks.
The Remington RM4618 46cc 18-Inch Chainsaw comes at position one in our list of the best chain saw under $400. It is a chainsaw that can be used both at home and for commercial purposes.
Design and Ease of Use
Remington RM4618 46cc 18-Inch Chainsaw weighs 16.4 lbs and can fit on a 0.050” chain gauge. The saw also comes with a .325” pitch chain. It is made of a small frame and has no electrical cord making it ultra-easy to maneuver around the trees and into awkward spots to till and cut. Using this chainsaw is very easy and it is also easy to maintain. This chainsaw also comes with a heavy-duty unit which is lightweight making it comfortable to use.
Performance and Power
The Remington RM4618 46cc 18-Inch Chainsaw comes with a two-stroke crank engine that has a premium 18-inch bar and a low kickback chain which is suitable for most homeowners and landowners. It is packed full with a Quickstart technology for smoother, easier and faster pull starts while it’s top of the line adjustable flower oiler for the right amount of chain lubrication for safe and smooth saw cuts. This chainsaw also comes with an anti-vibration handle, automatic oiler, and a tool-less chain tensioning.
- Offers lots of power
- Comes with a durable die-cast chassis
- Very easy to maneuver
- Has a comfortable and well-cushioned grip
- Its carburetor for adjusting could be easier
- Lacks some bit of torque
Product-02: Husqvarna 450e-Series II 18” Chainsaw
Ever chainsaw lovers would like the opportunity of getting a husky. For them to get a top-notch chainsaw for cutting woods of any type, then this Husqvarna 450e-Series II 18” Chainsaw is a perfect option. It comes with some top specs that are available in most of the top chainsaws in the market albeit at a relatively lower price.
Design and Ease of Use
This Husqvarna 450e-Series II 18” Chainsaw is made up of lots of great features. Weighing 17.4 lbs, it has perfect handling and very easy to carry around and can be used for an extended period of time. Its lightweight nature makes it easy to carry around and using it for an extended period of time. You don’t have to worry when you invest in this chainsaw as it can pack everything you need to split things into two.
Performance and Power
The Husqvarna 450e-Series II 18” Chainsaw packs the toughest speeds one can expect from any motor saw. Having RPM of 9,000, there is indeed nothing the saw will not be able to cut through. Its motor is super-powered and comes with a 50 cc engine that ensures the best response for all your cutting requirements. In case you are interested in smooth and thin slices of any hard object, then it is advisable you go for this Husqvarna 450e-Series II 18” Chainsaw.
- Fast Response
- Lightweight in design
- Very easy to maintain
- Perfect for cutting through large objects
- Quite expensive
- Never make straight cuts
Product-03: Makita XCU03PT1 18V 14″ Chain Saw
- 2 Free Batteries with qualifying X2 kits for a limited time (4 batteries included)
- Variable speed trigger and high chain speed (0-3, 940 FPM) For improved cutting performance
- "Tool-less" chain adjustment for convenient operation and maintenance. Chain pitch : 3/8 inch
Makita XCU03PT1 18V 14″ Chain Saw is a very popular and famous chainsaw among most loggers. It has been in the market for a very long time and has managed to perform well when compared to the other types of chainsaws available.
Design and Ease of Use
This chainsaw under $400 is of a durable build that can last several years of use. It is made of a plastic body while its handle is ergonomic hence having a tight grip is never an issue. Having a weight of 22 pounds it is a tad heavy to handle although it gives the unit some stability and ensures it does not kickback. It also comes with a tool-less chain adjustment making it very easy to operate and maintain.
Power and Performance
The Makita XCU03PT1 18V 14″ Chain Saw is well equipped with enough power that can match the small gas chainsaw prowess. It uses two 18V Li-Ion batteries that help in driving the BL brushless motor with high efficiency. It is capable of cutting through the thick branches and logs thanks to its high chain speed together with three variable speed trigger. It comes with a lock-off lever that helps in preventing accidents when using the chainsaw.
- There is no leak oil cap
- Uses two Li-Ion batteries
- Comes with a small but powerful gas saw
- Its chain tensioning is quite simple
- Quite difficult to start due to the switches safety
- LED on/off switch is difficult to handle
Product-04: Greenworks Pro 80V 18” Chainsaw
- Get up to 150 cuts on 4x4 lumber on a single charge with included 2.0Ah battery
- 18 inch bar and chain can be used to cut trees and limbs up to 34 inches in diameter.
- Advanced brushless motor technology delivers more torque, runtime, and extends life of the tool. Comparable to a 42CC gas chainsaw
This Greenworks Pro 80V 18” Chainsaw is an excellent choice for contractors and landscapers. It is battery-operated outdoor power tools that are coming on strong and have lots of power enabling it to handle all the pruning and outdoor cutting tasks.
Design and Ease of Use
The saw under $400 comes with a DigiPro brushless motor and an 80V 2Ah Li-Ion battery. Its 18” bar together with chain is extraordinary. Its handle wrapping around the body of the machine is made of metal which the second handle is ergonomic and offers a very comfortable grip. It comes with an electronic chain brake similar to something which is seen in a gas-powered unit. It weighs 10.5 pounds making it a heavy-duty gas model.
Power and Performance
When its battery is fully charged, this Greenworks Pro 80V 18” Chainsaw can do a maximum of 150 cuts. You will be glad to find out that the battery can be full within 30 minutes of charging. This machine comes with extra power proving that the cordless units are able to compete with their gas-powered counterparts. It also has an auto oiling system although the tank is a bit small in size and not in a position of carrying more than two ounces of oil.
- Comes with a metal handle
- Has a very powerful motor
- Uses an automatic oiling system
- It is lightweight in structure
- When you push it hard, the machine can stall
- There are chances of oil leaking
Product-05: Oregon Cordless 16” Chainsaw
- Brushless motor provides increased efficiency and power output
- PowerSharp chain minimizes downtime by allowing you to sharpen your chain right on the saw within seconds. The chain stays oiled using the built-in Lubri-Tec oiling system which reduces chain friction and increases the saw’s run time.
- Lightweight for comfort and ease of use
If you are a chainsaw frequent user, then high chances you have already interacted with the Oregon brand as it is one of the most popular names in the chainsaw industry. It is a perfect chainsaw when it comes to cutting of small trees around your home together with trimming of hedges.
Design and Ease of Use
The design of this chainsaw for under 400 dollars is very simple and setting it up is quite simple that even a less confident user can easily trigger the switch. It comes with a brushless motor that is designed to increase efficiency. It is lightweight making it possible to be used for quite a long period of time.
Power and Performance
This Oregon Cordless 16” Chainsaw comes with a brushless motor design that helps in increasing efficiency and output. It also uses a Lubri-Tech Oiling system that helps in keeping the chain together with the workflow running smoothly. It uses a Power Sharp sharpening system that makes it possible for one to sharpen the chain in seconds with its simple pull of a lever. Its sharp chain helps increase efficiency and protects the bar driving sprocket from unnecessary tear and wear.
- It is a very portable chainsaw
- Comes with an ergonomic handle for user comfort
- Very lightweight making it easy to maneuver
- There are zero emissions
- Not meant for industrial use
- Takes a long to recharge the battery
How To Choose The Best Chainsaw Under 400 Dollars?
When shopping for the best chainsaw under 400, there are a number of points that you need to consider before you make any purchase. In this section, we will be looking at some of the important factors you will have to put in mind to enable you to settle on the best chainsaw.
Having extra cash to spare can be a non-issue to you but will instead help you get the most out of your investment. Your financial capability should be at the center stage when you are purchasing a chainsaw. You need to take your time and know the prices of different chainsaws. However, keep in mind that the price might be a reflection of the chainsaw quality.
Intended Chainsaw Use
Why are you in need of a chainsaw? Do you want one for heavy cutting or just for carving? There are several uses of the chainsaw and the purpose you will be using it for will help in determining the chainsaw type you use. Larger chainsaws are ideal for bringing the large trees down while the smaller chainsaws are meant for chopping together with other light activities.
Chainsaw Power Type
The power type of chainsaw will be a major factor that you need to consider when shopping for one. When going for an electric chainsaw, you will need a power source or have to carry with you a long cord.
The electric chainsaws come in handy for the around the yard cutting. However, when working where there is no electricity around, a corded chainsaw will be less important. This is where you will have to consider going for a battery-powered or a gas chainsaw instead.
The chainsaw bar size is the difference between having all your tasks done in either short or long periods of time. Before you start hunting for a chainsaw, it will be appropriate if you have checked for all you want to cut. Measure the largest items diameter, in most cases, the chainsaw will go through it twice the original guide bar diameter.
You’re Skill Level
It is important you know that there are chainsaws of different complexity levels. There are chainsaws that can be used by top professionals who have lots of skills and ones that can be used by people who are new to chainsaws.
The chainsaws are available in different weights and sizes. Ensure you go for what you can comfortably operate without any issues.
Several chainsaws in the market come with warranties that are either Herculean or hogwash to claim. Ensure that you always check on the warranty period and warranty information before you purchase any chainsaw.
There are times when additional features are ice-breakers between them unscathed or seriously injured operators. The operators can never do without the safety features in a chainsaw. Ensure you check what safety features are available in the chainsaw before you splash your hard-earned cash to buy one. Check for elements such as chain brake, anti-kickback chain, auto lubrication, and more to ensure the chainsaw is safer to operate.
Important Safety Tips to Consider When Using Chainsaw
When you understand your chainsaw well and its intended use, you will be in a position of reducing or eliminating the chances of injuries or other unexpected reactions. You will also in a position to maximize the utility and life of the saw together with all its cutting attachments.
Here are some of the important safety tips you need to put in mind
- Before you consider using any type of chainsaw, ensure that you take your time and thoroughly read safety instructions and manufacturers operating procedures.
- It is advisable that you never operate the chainsaw when you are fatigued or when you have been drinking alcoholic beverages or if you have been using medication prescription or non-prescription drugs.
- Ensure you always use safety footwear, snug-fitting clothing, protective gear such as gloves goggles, and head protection.
- When you are using the chainsaw, always hold it firmly with both hands with the fingers and thumbs encircling both the handles of the chainsaw. Ensure that you always grip the saw with your right hand on the rear handle and the left hand at the front handle even when you are left-handed.
- A firm grip will help you in maintain control of the saw in case of a kickback or other unexpected reaction.
- The chainsaws are well designed to run at full speed. Ensure you always maintain a full-throttle selling whenever you are cutting to help you maximize your productivity and reduce fatigue ensuring safer production.
- Always cut while you are standing slightly to the side. Ensure you are out of the cutting chain plane and guide bar to help you reduce injury risk just in case you lose control of the saw.
- Ensure that you always carry the chainsaw with its engine stopped; guide bar and cutting chain to the rear while the muffler away from your body. Whenever you are transporting your chainsaw, ensure you always use the right guide bar scabbard.
- Never overreach or cut above the height of the shoulder as it will be very difficult to control the saw in awkward positions.
- Never operate a chainsaw from a tree or a ladder unless you have received the right training and you are well equipped to do so. There is a high risk that you might lose balance because of material movement being cut or cutting forces on the saw.
- There are cutting tasks that require special training and skills. You have to keep in mind that there is never a substitute for better judgment.
- Saw For Alaskan Mill Review
- Saw For Cutting Wood Letters
- Which is the Best Saw To Cut Drywall?
- DeWalt 20V Chainsaw
What is the best chainsaw for homeowners?
There are different types of chainsaws in the market which can be used by homeowners. The top three best chainsaws for homeowners include Oregon Cordless 16” Chainsaw, Greenworks Pro 80V 18” Chainsaw, and Husqvarna 450e-Series II 18” Chainsaw.
What is the best chainsaw for home use?
The best chainsaw for home use is one that is very simple in design and does not comprise of many features. The chain saw is very easy to use and operate and maintain it is also quite simple. They do not cost much since they don’t contain lots of features with them.
What chainsaws do professionals use?
The professional and experienced loggers do not just use any type of chainsaw that they get to do their job. They always focus on chainsaws that will offer them high performance, high power, are very durable and their productivity is able to handle large projects they work on.
What size chainsaw is best?
One basic guide is that the chainsaw should be at least two inches longer than the tree or branch thickness it is cutting. For instance, in case the branch is 8 inches thick, the blade or guide bar of the most suitable chainsaw needs to be 10 inches long.
Why do Loggers Run chainsaw bars upside down?
Every type of chainsaw has been designed to be mounted either upside down or right side. The main reason behind this is that it will allow the user to extend the life of their chainsaw bar by up to 50%. When you flip the bar, it will give the areas that are heavily used some relief from tear and wear. By using the upside-down chainsaw bars more frequently, the cuts will remain efficient and accurate.
Chainsaws are a very important investment and one will need to ensure he or she gets the best chain saw under 400. Before coming up with our list of best chainsaws below $400 in the market, we did analyze over 35 chainsaws and interviewed 4 chainsaw experts seeking their opinion on the various chainsaws. We also read through customers’ reviews to get their take concerning the chainsaws. We do hope that the above review has been of great help to you and that you are now in a position to make the best choice regarding a chainsaw under 400 that can suit your requirements and need. In case you have any questions or suggestions, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Cheap 20 Inch Chainsaw Buying Guide
- Husqvarna 550XP Chainsaw Buying Guide
Last update on 2020-12-03 at 01:26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API