Do you have a renovation project you are planning to carry out? If yes, then you will definitely be in need of a number of tools to enable you to perform the task. Among the tools, you will be in need of is the best saw to cut drywall. For sure, the drywall saw will be handy whenever there is a need for creating compact carves or openings through the wood, cement board of the drywall. The wide variety of saws to cut drywall has made it difficult to identify which is the best saw to use.
The Dremel 4300-5/40 Rotary Tool Kit is our top pick in our top list. This saw comes with a folding blade, a rasp, and an ergonomic handle. When you invest in this Dremel 4300-5/40 Rotary Tool Kit, you can always be sure that you will successfully have great drywall cuts.
What are the Top 07 best saw to cut drywall? The following 07 saw to cut drywall has been tested and rated by professional woodworker:
Top 07 Best Saw to Cut Drywall Reviews and Buying Guide
01. Dremel 4300-5/40 Rotary Tool Kit
- Premium rotary tool kit - Includes 4300 high performance rotary tool, 5 attachments, 40 high-quality Dremel accessories, and plastic storage case.
- High performance motor – Our most powerful motor delivers maximum performance even in the most demanding applications.
- Variable speed - 5,000 – 35,000 RPM with electronic feedback for consistent performance & accurate tool control
The Dremel 4300-5/40 Rotary Tool Kit is known to come with a pretty larger motor than what is found in the 4000-2/30 model. It comes with an electronic feedback system that helps in maintaining the performance and speed whenever you are working on soft and hard materials.
This saw cut features a universal three-jaw chuck that can take all the attachments of Dremel together with accessory shank sizes. However, it is not that sturdy to take in heavy applications. This saw cut has also included a completely average collet in its package to suit any person why wants to move to a collet.
The Dremel 4300-5/40 is considered to be a variable speed rotary that comes with endless applicability. Right from engraving of designs from the woodwork to cutting of the drywall, the Dremel 4300-5/40 completely stands out as a great and powerful tool for home builders and professionals.
When it comes to performing tasks, its multi-directional pivot helps in keeping the work well lit at any angle while its ergonomic grip ensures it is comfortable to use. It comes with a number of hard-sided carry cases and potential attachments making it ready to handle some serious tasks.
- Comes with a cool-running motor that helps in improving the life of the tool
- It is made up of a comprehensive attachment package and accessory
- Its 3 jaw chunk allows for convenient and easy accessories change
- The pivoting light ensure all projects are well lit
- Runs smoothly and quietly
- Comes with a short warranty period
02. DEWALT DWE315K Oscillating Tool Kit
- Powerful 3 amp motor of the oscillating tool provides strong performance for cutting and sanding
- Quick-Change accessory system allows blades and attachments to be changed quickly without wrenches
- Dual-Grip variable speed trigger gives users ultimate speed and application control
The DEWALT DWE315K Oscillating Tool Kit is another interesting saw to cut drywall. It is made up of a 3-amp motor that helps in offering it plenty of power to help it perform any type of task. For a slightly extra cost, you will be in a position of buying this multi-tool that comes with a five-piece accessory kit. The accessory kit is mainly meant for cutting jobs although it does comes with not more than 25 sanding pads.
The DEWALT DWE315K Oscillating Tool Kit does come with a guide bar that helps in making accurate cuts. This kit is built like a tank. It is durable, solid and long-lasting. It also comes with an LED system which makes the cut line more visible. This can be of great help in darker areas. The unit is also of variable speed control that helps in making speed adjustments quite easy.
It comes with a two grip speed system which makes it possible to change the speed by holding the tool on both sides. It is very easy to change the accessories using this simple clamping system. This kit also has an excellent build construction together with a rubberized finish that helps in making it comfortable to hold for an extended period of time.
- It is a versatile and powerful tool
- Has a variable speed control
- Offers great handling with excellent grip
- Build quality is perfect
- Quite expensive
- Does not involve lots of accessories
03. DEWALT DWE304 10-Amp Reciprocating Saw
- Powerful 10 amp motor of the reciprocating saw is designed for heavy-duty applications
- 4-position blade clamp allows for flush cutting and increased versatility
- 0-2,800 SPM and 1-1/8-inch stroke length for fast and efficient cutting
The DEWALT DWE304 10-Amp Reciprocating Saw is considered to be among the best saw to cut drywall currently available in the market. This saw is well powered with a 10 amp motor that helps in delivering enough power to enable the saw to easily cut through some of the toughest materials.
Despite not being one of the most powerful motors we have seen it is decent enough to ensure the job is well executed. However, this saw will never choke or stall when cutting any type of material. It comes with variable speed control that allows one to change the blade speed easily. With a stroke rate of 0-2,800 SPM and a stroke length of 1-1/8 inches, the unit will be capable of cutting the material much faster.
One thing you will like about the DEWALT DWE304 10-Amp Reciprocating Saw is its four-position blade. This blade is capable of making horizontal and vertical cuts which makes the saw versatile and practical. It is possible to clamp and unclamp the blade within seconds.
The DEWALT DWE304 handles come with beveled grooves that help in promoting handling. The handles are very comfortable to hold.
- It is quite affordable
- Offers a variable speed rate of between 0 to 2800 SPM
- Offers great handling thanks to its great-handling grooves
- Comes with a 4- position blade for versatility cutting
- Does not have a very powerful motor
04. Makita 5007Mg Magnesium Circular Saw
- Magnesium components create a lightweight saw (10.6 pounds) that is well balanced and jobsite tough
- Powerful 15.0 AMP motor delivers 5,800 RPM for proven performance and jobsite durability
- 2 built in L.E.D lights illuminate the line of cut for increased accuracy
The Makita 5007Mg Magnesium Circular Saw comes with a 15 amp motor and a blade capable of spinning 5,800 times in 60 seconds. This saw is lightweight weight 10.5 pounds and is well balanced while it is still tough enough to ensure projects are completed well.
One best feature most people do love about this saw is the adjustability of big and rubberized levels faster using a single hand. This model does have great ergonomics and it is very easy to control and comfortable it does not matter if you are a first time user or an expert.
The ruler markings and numbers are large making them very easy to read. It is capable of cutting up to 2.5” deep as its bevel comes with two stops at 22.5 degrees and 45 degrees. One of the most outstanding features of this saw is its LED lights which enable one to see whatever they are cutting regardless of the type of environment you are using the saw.
Apart from its LED light, it also comes with a dust blower hence; you never have to worry about any debris getting in your way. It has a wrench that has been attached to the saw that makes the switching of blades be faster.
- It has a very powerful motor
- Comes with an LED light to enable precision cuts
- The levers are well rubberized and large in size
- It is quite lightweight to help reduce fatigue
- Comes with a carry case
- Cannot fit inside its carry case when the height is all way out
- Metal disc found on the blade might fall off if not fixed
05. QWORK Twin Blade Adjustable Hole Saw Cutter
- Professional Cutting - Hole saw cuts smooth and even 8" diameter holes through wood, drywall, plaster and plastic; Cutting depth up to 3/4"(19mm) from one side, 1-1/8"(30mm) from two sides.
- Safe & Clean - Ball bearing mounted ABS dust shield with soft silicon rubber gasket to trap the dust and shavings to prevent them from going airborne and making mess in your furnished home. It is also safe to use as protection equipment for hole cutting application.
- Easy to Use - Includes everything you need to do-it-yourself, mandrel and drill bit work with any 3/8" drills & up.
Are you in need of an adjustable twin blade cutter that can multitask well? Then the QWORK Twin Blade Adjustable Hole Saw Cutter should be your most preferable option. This saw comes with up to 36 accessories which enable you to serve every cutting need.
It comprises of a strong 3.8 amp motor that will offer you great performance. It also comes with speed settings and has a quick functionality boost to enable you to choose the right speed and hold throughout your performance.
It is very durable thanks to the sturdy materials used in making it. This cutter does require less maintenance which makes it cheap in the long term. It is each to change the accessories and can be done very fast.
Most people are said to prefer going for the QWORK Twin Blade Adjustable Hole Saw Cutter due to its cheap price and high-quality performance.
- Very affordable
- Easy to maintain
- Powerful to handle demanding tasks
- Can easily break down
06. Summit Gear Heavy Duty Folding Utility Knife
- ★ MULTIFUNCTIONAL DUAL BLADE DESIGN - two independent locking release buttons makes it safer to open/close the blades
- ★ SECURE BLADE RETAINING PLATE uses 3 tight screws to securely hold cutting blade in place. Blade doesn't slip out easily
- ★ EASY BLADE REPLACEMENT- no additional tools required. The high hardness SK5 carbon steel blades stays sharp longer.
The Summit Gear Heavy Duty Folding Utility Knife is among the most popular knives currently available in the market. This knife is made of a 3Cr13 heavy-duty stainless steel. It also includes a handle that is weighted offering extra power for deeper cutting. Its handle is of ergonomic design which offers improved grip when in difficult cutting situations.
You can use this dual blade knife design in different situations like hiking, camping, home repairs, office, traveling and cutting of different materials. This knife also comes with two press to open button control that helps in controlling the knife blade. Each of the blades can fold easily and they are very simple to unlock.
This knife comprises of up to SK5 steel blades that are corrosion resistant and remain sharp for long periods of time when compared to the other steel blades.
Some of the most common users of this utility knife include; fishermen, homeowners, leather workers, store stockers, construction workers, crafters, etc.
You can use this knife in wallpaper cutting, opening boxes, laminates, rubber, thin wood, leather, rope, and plastic.
- Made of heavy-duty stainless steel
- Its handle is of ergonomic design
- Comes with two press buttons that help in controlling the blade
- The blades can fold easily
- Quite heavy making it difficult to make precision cuts
07. Klein Tools 31737 Drywall Saw
- Folding saw with durable carbon steel blade is as sturdy as fixed blade jab saws
- Hand saw has faster cutting blade with triple ground teeth and ability to cut in both directions
- Lockback mechanism secures the blade open at 125-degree and fully open at 180-degree
If you are in need of a saw that is risk-free to carry around inside your bag, then the Klein Tools 31737 Drywall Saw is a perfect choice for you. This saw is known to be very sturdy and folds nicely whenever it is not in use making it safe and easy to transport.
The blade of this saw is made using rugged steel material and can never flex whenever one is cutting giving one easy time whenever they are performing their operations. Its triple ground teeth can cut much faster in both directions ensuring user convenience. It comes with a lock-back mechanism that helps in locking the blade open at two different angles which can either be 125 degrees or a complete 180 degree that can suit any user.
This saw kit comes with well-sized and convenient handles that are well cushioned ensuring comfortable and excellent grip. It does have a non-slip feature that offers its user great control ability that will ensure accurate cuts are achieved with very little fatigue on the operator.
It comes with a lanyard hole that allows tethering with its versatile design making it possible for use in cutting different materials like drywall, plywood, plastics, etc.
- Very easy to use
- It is of compact design
- Comes with a carry bag
- Can easily be folded
- Its tip can easily break when pressure is applied
Related Post: Top 05 Tile Saw For Homeowner
What is Drywall?
Before you make any purchase of the drywall and start using it, it is advisable that you know what it is. Drywall also referred to as sheetrock, gypsum board, wallboard, gypsum panel, and plasterboard. It is made of calcium sulfate dehydrate and is usually cast in between thick backer paper and facer sheets.
The drywall is most commonly used in interior walls and ceiling construction. The plaster is normally mixed with plasticizer, foaming agent, fiber and different types of additives that can help in reducing the absorption of water, milder and flammability.
We can basically conclude that it is a mixture of gypsum or Paris wrapped in recycled paper sheets.
Types of Drywall Cutting Tools
If you intend to cut drywall using a rotary cutter, the steps below will help you achieve great cuts.
- First, have the area you intend to cut prepared and observe the cutting depth. Check if there is any electric wire that passes behind the wall.
- Take measurements and mark the lines by use of a pencil and a ruler
- Ensure you put on protective gear like gloves, sunglasses or goggles
- Have the cutting bit on the rotary tool fixed
- Ensure you adjust the guide depth so that you can go to the depth you need in order to cut
- In case you are using a corded tool, consider plugging the tool on the socket and confirm if it’s working well by turning on and off.
- Hold the tool using all your hands and point to the cutting bit
- In case you will be making a circle cut, you will need to find the diameter of the circle where you will have it as the cutter attachment pivot.
- Switch on the rotary and start cutting
- Measure the area you want to cut using a ruler
- If you will be cutting drywall panel pieces, have the large panel placed on a flat surface or a working bench.
- Have the drywall cutting blade fixed on the tool
- Put on an ear protection gear: Use the headphones if you are not able to get the right equipment.
- Have the tool plugged into the main supply socket
- Power the tool on and start cutting
- Measure and mark the area you want to cut
- Have the saw blade fixed on the tool and plug into the electric socket
- Use both your hands to hold the reciprocating saw
- Power the tool and make a plunge cut at the end of the line you will be cutting
- Move along the line as you control the tool speed
With Circular Saw:
- Measure and mark the area you want to cut
- Have the cutting blade fixed and adjust the guide
- Put on the ear and eye protection
- Power the saw on and start cutting
- Always start at a slow pace and ensure you are precise
- Always pause along the way to remove dust
With Cutting Knife:
You can use the steps below to enable you to cut the drywall using a cutting knife.
- Always take your time when measuring and marking the drywall panel cutting lines. With this, you will be able to make accurate cuttings on the drywall.
- Ensure you always put on the hand glove to enable you to avoid injuries.
- Have the panel placed on the workbench after marking and score on the lines by use of a knife.
- Snap your panel back using the scored line and proceed with the cutting
- Use the cutting knife to help you cut the drywall back
With Jab Saw:
In case you intend to cut drywall using a jab saw, the following steps will be of great help.
- Measure and mark the panel
- At the edges of the line, make a hole. The hole will work as the starting point when it comes to cutting the drywall.
- Keep the saw away from your face whenever you are holding it
- Place the thumb at the handles’ backside for great grip
- You can now start cutting the drilled hole along the marked borderline
- Complete the process of cutting by all the remaining pieces
How to Select a Drywall Cutter
Here are some important features that will enable you to choose the right drywall cutter
- Comfortable Handle
When in the market for a top drywall cutting tool, ensure the cut-out tool handle you will be purchasing is easy to hold. Cushioning around the handle body will make the handle very comfortable to hold.
There are times when you will need to work for longer periods with the tool you purchase. In such a scenario, investing in a dry cutting tool with a comfortable handle will enable you to complete your project without fatigue.
- Changing the bit is easy
Ensure that the attachment that comes with the tool can easily be turned off. There are models that offer spindle lock to help in changing a single bits wrench while other models never require any tools.
Always go for one that is less time consuming and easy to use
- The motor brushes are replaceable
In case the cutout tool you will be purchasing comprises a replaceable motor brush, then be sure it will always maximizing the investments you make. This will in turn help enhance your tool life. A replaceable motor will allow you to only replace the old or worn out brushes and not the entire device.
How to Choose the Best Drywall Cutting Tools (Buying Guide)
There are a few things you need to keep in mind whenever you are shopping for the best drywall cutting tools in the market. Here are some of the most essential things you need to keep in mind.
Any top saw will come with great attachments and this can range from anything from hoses and dust vaults to help in keeping the dust particles from your eyes. The range of attachments does vary depending on the price and brand.
- Rotations per Minute
This is one factor you will always come across within most if not every power tool. The RPM helps in determining how strong a motor is. The more powerful a motor is the more efficient your projects will be.
Comfort is a great factor when it comes to buying a saw for cutting drywall. Going for a saw that offers a comfortable grip will help in reducing cramping and strain risk. This means you will be able to work for long periods and do away with the chances of making mistakes.
Going for the best saw to cut drywall will enable you to avoid damages to fixtures existing in the cutting area. Investing in a top-quality drywall cutter will enable you to make precise finishing. All the products mentioned in this review guide are of top quality and capable of giving an excellent and great finish when you practice using them a few times. Keeping in mind the features that are suitable for cutting out tools, compare all the products, and go for one that suits your needs.
- Which is the Best Saw for Cutting Pallets?
- Circular saw For Woodworking Buying Guide
- Top 03 Saw For Cutting Wood Letters
- Best Saw For Pinewood Derby Car
- Best Reciprocating Saw
- Top 05 Hole Saw For Cutting Thick Metal
What is the best tool to cut drywall?
There are three best tools you can always use to cut drywall. There is a jab saw, a utility knife and a drywall circle cutter. The most common and simplest way of cutting the drywall is by use of a utility knife. It is lightweight, durable ergonomically designed and easy to use.
What saw to use to cut drywall?
There are three main types of saw you can always use in cutting drywall. There is the jab saw, a utility knife and a drywall circle cutter.
What is the easiest way to cut drywall?
The easiest way of cutting the drywall is to turn the board over and have it laid facing down. Thereafter snap back at the board on the cutting line. Using the saw of your choice, cut through the drywall
Can you use a dremel to cut drywall?
Yes, it is very possible to cut the drywall using a Dremel. The Dremel will offer you the right power that will enable you to easily cut the drywall
Can you use a jigsaw to cut drywall?
Yes, you can always use a jigsaw to help you in cutting the drywall. First, you need to use a drill to enable you to make a pilot hole in the area you are interested in cutting to enable you to create some space for your jigsaw. The jigsaw will offer more convenience as it features a pointed tip.
Can you cut drywall with a router?
Despite a router not being a saw, you can still use it in cutting wood and drywall. However, it is never used in the same way as a jigsaw.
Last update on 2020-12-03 at 01:26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API